You have questions, we have answers!

You must fill out an application, which you can print out from our website, pick up one at our office or we can mail you one if you call us at 207-324-6747. If you stop by the office we will be happy to help you fill it out or you can take it home and bring it back when you are done.

After you fill out the application, we will figure out what building you qualify for based on your household size, age and income. You can apply for as many buildings as you want.
SHA staff reviews your application, date stamp it, enter all your information into our database and place your name on the waiting list of the buildings you qualify for. The date and time of your application determines your place on the waiting list.

We will send you confirmation that you are on the waiting list and for what buildings you qualify for. We will also send you a form to notify us if you have a change in address or other information that has changed since you applied for housing. You must tell us if you move or there is a different number to contact you. If your name comes to the top of the waiting list and we cannot find you, your application will be removed from the list.
NO, calling will not change your place on the list or affect how fast your name will come up on the list.
The wait for apartments depends on the building you select. At some buildings the wait can be months for others maybe a year of two. We have to use the date and time of your application when we place you on the list.
The Intake staff will contact you by mail for an appointment to come in and review your application. You must attend that meeting or your application could be removed from the waiting list.

The interview will be a very important step and you must supply the following documents at that time:

  • Birth Certificates for all the members of your household
  • Social Security Cards for all members of your household
  • Proof of annual income can include; an award letter from Social Security or TANF; pay stubs from your present or previous jobs, income from child support or any income you receive
  • Proof of assets can include; checking and saving bank account statements, CD accounts; information if you own a home or have owned a home in the past
  • Landlord names, addresses and phone numbers
This is an important time for you to discuss any situations that you did not include on your application. We are required and do check your criminal background and contact previous landlords. We will verify your sources of income all to determine if you are eligible for our housing programs. If you were not born in the United States you or one member of your household must be a US Citizen.

The interview could take an hour so if you have young children try to make arrangements so your interview can be uninterrupted. We love kids don’t get us wrong, it is just easier when the kids are home.
Millbrook Commons, Cranberry Ridge, Sunset Towers, East Side Acres, Village View
The Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) program also known as Section 8, is a federal housing program to help low income families, elderly and persons with disabilities choose and lease or purchase safe, decent and affordable privately owned rental housing.
The SHA administers vouchers in the following towns; Sanford, Springvale, Acton, Shapleigh, Kennebunk, Wells, Kennebunk, N. Berwick, Alfred and Lebanon.
The general rule is you will pay the landlord 30% of your gross income, the SHA will pay the remaining rental amount on your behalf. This amount will vary depending on your income, the rental amount of the unit and the utilities you will be paying for in that apartment.
When the waiting list is open you can apply at our office at 17 School Street, Sanford, ME or call and an application will be sent to you. Applications for Section 8 are only accepted at specified times and notices will be placed in the newspaper and on our website when we open our waiting list for all applicants.
You will be given a packet of information that will be reviewed with you by your Occupancy Specialist. The information will inform you of program regulations and your obligations while you are a participant in the program.

You will also be given information on how much rent you can afford and what you need to bring with you when you are searching for an apartment. It is your responsibility to find an apartment to rent, we sometimes have a list of vacant units to assist you.
The landlord will fill out the information about the apartment and either you or they will bring the packet of information to our office. SHA will schedule an inspection of the unit to ensure that it is decent, safe and affordable for you and your family. All Section 8 apartments must pass the inspection and you should not move into an apartment until the inspection is completed and has passed. Do not sign a lease until all the paperwork is completed, if you do you will be responsible for the entire months rent.
Yes, you can move after the initial 1 year term of your lease has expired, but remember that the new apartment must be inspected before you move in.
You can be a participant in the program as long as your remain income eligible and have been a good tenant and have abided by all the provisions in your lease. SHA will review your income and family information every year and inspect your apartment. If you do not pay your rent or get evicted by your landlord you may lose your voucher and can no longer participate in the HCV program.